Wednesday, August 20, 2008

I've given it a lot of thought, and for my money, alternative rock from the 1990s is about the best genre of music ever. You might disagree with me, but that's fine: I said for my money, not yours. I think the reason I feel this is because to me, the rock coming out of the 90s had some balls. There was an almost lingering, unspoken threat behind 90s rock. I mean, c'mon, who would you expect to win in a fight? My Chemical Romance or the guys from Nirvana? Kanye West or the Smashing Pumpkins? The Jonas Brothers or Nine Inch Nails?

Seriously, in comparison, there's a lot of artists out there that seem like pussies and they're putting out pussy music. C'mon, how about a little anger in your music? Enough of the emo or the celebrating of celebrity; grow a pair and put a little angst into your music. I think that's why when I do tend to stray into other genres of music - and I have from time to time - I tend to like darker stuff. I like Common and Nas in hip hop, because they don't sound like pussies. I like Johnny Cash because he doesn't sound like a pussy. Actually, I like a lot of the 70s rock because it had some teeth to it, but not the 80s because it was filled with hair and materialism.

In fact, I recently had a conversation where I said I think music goes in cycles: dark, light, dark, light. 70s, 80s, 90s, 00s. If that's true, here in the next couple of years some bands should start popping up that will really bloom with some angst ridden stuff in the 10s. I hope so. If I have to hear Nickelback cry about photographs or Stone Sour tries looking at me through a glass one more time, I'm going to lash out at someone. Preferably, Seether, Hoobastank, Puddle of Mudd or any other one of those myriad of nameless, faceless, and personality-less acts that try passing themselves off as bands these days. And when they go away, can we please convince them to take indie rock with them? And Linkin Park. The less is said about them, the better.

No comments: