Wednesday, August 6, 2008

What I've been up to.

I've been writing a lot lately. Just not on my novel. And while I still work on that too, primarily, I've been writing short scripts. I'm trying to create a lineup of projects to shoot and I think I've just about got enough material for this fall.

One thing I'm realizing, I don't want to do comedy. I'm not Barats and Bereta. I don't have their gift for sketches and it's just not my thing. I know several of my friends have said that I should focus on shorter, funnier videos, and while I agree that for now, shorter is better, my humor isn't sketch-type humor. I've got to keep my videos true to myself and while I hope some people can find humor in them, I'm not going to be going strictly for laughs. I tell stories, not jokes. It's just me.

So...what have I got coming up? Well, I'm waiting to see what happens with this new job situation before I really start on any of that. I hate not having a microphone about as much as I hate being unemployed and unfortunately, right now, I'm both. I should be hearing back from Lowe's in the next couple days - I've had three interviews with them and they're just waiting on my background check. I know it'll come back clean (I haven't done anything! I swear!), so I'm kind of wanting to see if I start working there soon before I move forward on these projects. I'd label one a black comedy, one a slasher flick (odd, since I generally hate slasher flicks), one an action piece, and one's a Christmas video. Hopefully, I'll shoot all four of those in the next three months and then take a break for the holidays and write up some more ideas.

In the meantime, I'm brushing up on my video compositing while beginning to learn the basics of web design and CG animation. I'm teaching myself all of this, so it may take some time. But at least I'm being productive, right?

No comments: